Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Portraying Environmental Catastrophe

We have talked about the problematics of portraying poverty. One major concern is how a novel could commodify poverty. Perhaps descriptions of poverty could become a sort of set pieces stripping the poor of depth and humanity. Worse is a morbid fascination with the horrors of poverty either as titillation or producing a false catharsis. Another pitfall seems to be portraying poverty ahistorically as permanent human reality. This leads to a fatalism absolving the privileged reader of responsibility. I think a lot of these pitfalls are a two way street that relies on the readers attitude. Also it is a lot easier to find these flaws than write without them. However while reading “Animal’s People”, I had to wonder how these same patterns might exist in relation to portrayals environmental catastrophe. I have read a lot of speculative works about environmental collapse from T.C. Boyle’s “Friends of the Earth” to Cormac McCarthy’s “The Road” to that movie Avatar. I think all of these works have some relationship to stale, indulgent, or fatalistic portrayals of environmental catastrophe. “Animal’s People” stands out because it isn’t far removed in some speculative world (or at least based on a real event). It also has a distinctly hyper or transhumanist message as we identify with “Animal”, a character that rejects the label of human. However that the novel never resolves its notion of nature in rebellion or “Mother Nature’s trying to take back the land”(31). The description of cobras and scorpions in the walls, the inside of the factory, even the forest that Animal hides in are morbidly grotesque and too brief. Most importantly the neatness of how the human problems are resolved while ignoring Animal’s experience in the woods redivorces us from any wider scope that considered life outside of human scope.

1 comment:

  1. It is a continuous struggle for me to decide whether or not reading about the extreme poverty of the world is a beneficial endeavor, meaning it will provoke me to induce change, or instead an over-exposure that will only further callous my sensibility. Is there a middle ground that can be managed by a writer? I'm really not sure. I almost feel as though there are certain number of books, articles, pictures, and stories I can hear about poverty before I will feel that is only a piece of the apocalypse that is undoubtedly on the horizon. Notice, I said i almost feel that way, then I pull myself out of it. I just think poverty has to be experienced in by a person, whether you are within the poverty or become exposed to it by choice, before the fervent will to produce change can come into effect. With fiction though, I think it can be an effective part of a story but I don't know how much it will ever catalyze change in the real world. Although, I sure hope it can. I'm beginning to sound like Agastya with my refusal to arrive at a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete