Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Ever-Questionable English Degree

Let's not pretend that the scene in the novel involving the "irrelevancy" of Chaucer and Swift isn't something we need to discuss. As graduation is quickly approaching, I too find myself wondering about the significance of the education I have toiled with over the past four years. At no point have I ever considered the literature on my syllabi to be completely worthless, and I can honestly say that I never will. For this reason, I find it a bit frustrating that Agastya is so despondent throughout Srivastav's condemnation of an English education (pg. 70). However, Agastya's embarrassment is a characteristic sentiment of an individual whose position in an organization is marginalizing. This is just another point in the novel where Agastya's hybridity is causing him to shamefully consider his identity. At the very least, (if Agastya actually cares at all) he only wishes that his choice of studies "sounded as though one had to study for exams." "A useless subject," says Srivastav, "unless it helps you to master the language, which in most cases it doesn't." Now, I suppose I could explain why I advocate the thought process one will develop through the study of English literature, but all of us most likely feel similarly on this subject. The most likely reason for my disappointment in Agastya's reaction, or lack thereof, to Srivastav's comments is the timing at which we are reading this novel. I just feel so awfully for Agastya. His entire life there has been someone admonishing him for choosing English as a field of study. One would think that Agastya would just assume lie to Srivastav when asked about his education in order to savor any ounce of humor that might be latent in the conversation.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, was caught by this passage. I mean, who wants to think of their degree as worthless? I feel for Agastya's lack of choice in his job, but at the same time I am completely frustrated with him. If he is so ashamed of studying English, why didn't he study something else? It clearly didn't really matter what he chose. And, if he chose English because he believed it was important or interesting or at all beneficial, why doesn't he at least attempt to defend it?

    ReplyDelete