Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Final Thought Before The Finish

I've begun to notice that Chatterjee has changed the way in which Agastya is describing his surroundings. He employs more and more fragments from the perspective of Agastya as the character gives snapshots of the scenery he is passing. It's almost as if Agastya is familiarity with the things around him would stop him from taking notice, but because he is a part of a novel...the description simply must go on. Also, with the majority of the book resting in my left hand at this point, the anxious desire to leap to conclusions is coming on pretty strong. All of the untied strings of this book are beginning to swirl in my mind, searching for some sort of ending to knot themselves with. This started happening this morning while I reading the section bout Jompanna and I found myself thinking that John Avery was surely going to be attacked by a tiger because people continued to mention that no tiger had been seen in 12 years. I don't know if I wanted this to happen because it would be a deserving symbol for the Raj's place in Indian society, or if all I want is some sort of action beyond Agastya nabbing someone's keys. I had to set the book aside and convince myself that there is not going to be anything exciting that will happen, but instead I have to allow Chatterjee to finish the story that has somehow managed to capture my imagination. I am stuck in Madna just as Agastya. He needs to make a move or I think I am going to have to write an alternate ending to the book. Only kidding, but I do hope that some sort of wildly unexpected denouement comes about that is some way makes my graduation a bit less disheartening. A boy can dream, can't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment