Monday, March 1, 2010

Futile? I hope not.

Roy's technique creates a dilemma in my eyes. On the one hand, her writing style allows for disheartening tragedies to be recounted without completely drowning the reader in despair. However, focusing on the minute details of a travesty through poetic aestheticism causes the real societal problems to fade into the background as the "small things" encapsulate the reader in a realm of often overlooked sensibility. I loved this novel. I feel it is important to stress this fact. Roy is obviously a young master of a style that she has freshly carved from longstanding formulas, but the effect of her writing seems to disrupt the underlying intent of her novel. Is the novel much more pleasurable to read than most fictional critiques of class and caste systems? Yes. But is Roy so successful in beautifying the abysmal reality of her novel that the caste system no longer appears problematic? Possibly. The novel's ending illustrates this predicament created by her literary strategy. The sex scene between Ammu and Velutha is wonderfully stimulating in its intricate sensualization of a scene that we know, as readers, results in the decay of an entire network of individuals. Roy's novel continues to suggest that the obstacles set in place by the caste system, among many other marginalizing structures, are so great that one must focus on the infinitesimal wonders of life lest they be smashed by the overbearing inequities of the world around them. I realize that this is only a novel, and in order to truly appreciate its value you can't expect it to have palpable, real-world applications at every turn. However, as a social activist who obviously understands the power of allegory, Roy employs a style that dances dangerously along the line of depicting social change as an exercise in futility.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate this perspective. It is problematic, on one hand, as I love her lack of black and white moralizing, and the idea of everyone being implicated, as we all are beings capable of choice in our own varying degrees. And, perhaps for the same reason I liked Roberto Benigni's "Life is Beautiful," the simultaneous depiction of beauty and horror, the attempt to encapsulate human experience, I like Roy. Yet, it is true, I certainly do not feel a hightened sense of social committment upon finishing the novel, and probably due to the sense of futility you proposed. It would have been interesting had she situated a contextualized existential hero, some one who might say...this is my perspective entwined though it may be, my fight is worth fighting.(fighting the macro instead of the micro?) Even though she is an activist, I think she has written about what is, not how to change it, perhaps this was for her how to begin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt sort of the same way about this novel. She tried to focus too much on the small things that we lose focus of the grander picture which is the issue of the caste system. She wrote a great novel, but I don't feel it made any progress in trying to promote change in her society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to your comment A. Hope, I suppose it is possible that she would consider her novel's perspective to be an effective conduit in raising larger questions regarding the problems of a caste system. However, I still feel that as a social activist she would have taken a much different approach in her narrative had she intended for her novel to raise those types of questions. I am beginning to feel that this novel should be given a chance to stand apart from Roy's sociopolitical beliefs. I know this isn't possible given the theme of this course, but for myself, I want to read this book again in the future without trying to evaluate its real-world implications.

    ReplyDelete